Deal locally, face-to-face if you can.
- Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union, Bank Wire)
You can accept cashier/certified checks but NOT money orders – Banks cash fakes and
then hold you responsible. However, if you do choose this payment method be sure to verify with the
originating bank or otherwise institution by calling them (do not call the number
on the check or other document as it may be fake as well instead find it on the
- Transactions are between users only; no third party provides a “guarantee” except buyer protection through PayPal.
- Never give out financial or personal sensitive information (bank account, social security, etc.).
Most scam attempts involve one or more of the following:
- Vague initial inquiry, e.g. asking about "the item". Poor grammar/spelling.
- Western Union, Money Gram, cashier check, money order, or a "guarantee".
- Do not pay upfront for a promise.
- Do not accept reloaded cards such as MoneyPak, Reloadit, Vanilla, etc.
- Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face to complete the transaction – this only applies in some situational – Is situational.
- US-CERT (Computer Emergency Readiness Team) How to avoid Recognize and Avoid Email Scams – PDF Download
- FBI Common Fraud Schemes on the Internet – PDF Download
Who should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?
If you are defrauded by someone you met in person, contact your local police department.
If you suspect that a Contractors Overstock post, buyer or seller may be running a scam, please Contact Us